HelpPrint this page
- Why should I order foreign currency before I leave?
It's a good idea to have some cash on hand for immediate expenses such as a taxi ride from the airport, a meal, or for tips. You can avoid the hassle of exchanging upon arrival as some airports and train stations don't have exchange offices, or could be closed when you arrive.
- How can I order foreign currency (cash)?
You can order:
- Online. It takes just minutes to get your rate and place your order.
- By phone. Please call us at 1-800-626-9430, Monday through Friday, 5 am to 6 pm, Saturday 7 am to 2 pm Pacific Time.
- In person. To find a participating Wells Fargo banking location in the U.S. that carries foreign currency, please use the Foreign Currency Store Locator to find a location near you. Please contact the location in advance for availability of specific currencies and store hours.
- Do Wells Fargo banking stores carry foreign currency?
Yes, more than 1,000 Wells Fargo banking locations in the U.S. are designated to carry a selection of foreign currencies on hand - please use the Foreign Currency Store Locator to find a location near you. Please contact the location in advance for specific currency availability and store hours.
- How much foreign currency can I order?
For online orders, you can order a maximum of $3,000 (USD equivalent) per day. You must order at least $200(USD equivalent). If you're ordering multiple currencies, the minimum purchase amount for each currency is $25 (USD equivalent).
For orders over $3,000 (equivalent), please stop by a Wells Fargo banking location in the U.S. that is designated as a site that carries foreign currency - please use the Foreign Currency Store Locator to find a location near you - or call us at 1-800-626-9430 to place an order.
- How can I pay for my purchase?
When placing an order online, Wells Fargo customers can pay using their Wells Fargo checking or savings account.
- How will I know my order was successful?
You will know your order has been successfully processed when you receive an email confirmation with a package tracking number. Upon successful order processing and shipment, your account will be debited for the amount of your order.
Even if your order is successfully submitted and you receive an order confirmation number online, additional verifications are performed for your security. In some instances, Wells Fargo may need to later cancel or reject the order you've placed. If this occurs, we will contact you immediately.
- What does "Availability" mean?
Availability refers to the number of business days it will take for Wells Fargo to process your order. It may take longer to process orders with certain less popular currencies.
- Why is the estimated delivery date different from the "Availability"?
We typically process orders Monday through Friday. The estimated delivery date includes the processing time as well as the shipping time. You will receive an email notification that includes your package tracking number when your order ships.
- What should I do if I have foreign currency left from my travels that I want to sell?
Wells Fargo customers may sell over 90 different foreign currencies (paper currency only, no coins) back to Wells Fargo at a Wells Fargo banking location in the U.S. that is designated to exchange foreign currency - please use the Foreign Currency Store Locator to find a location near you. Most Wells Fargo banking locations will also provide foreign currency exchange services for non-customers as a courtesy, but this service is not available to non-customers at all locations. Please contact the locations in advance for details.
- Do I need to have an account with Wells Fargo to exchange foreign currency?
You do need to have a Wells Fargo account to order foreign currency from our online site. Most Wells Fargo banking locations in the U.S will also provide foreign currency exchange services for non-customers as a courtesy, but this service is not available to non-customers at all locations. Please contact the location in advance for details.
- Why are rates quoted on your site different than those I see elsewhere?
Rates quoted in newspapers or other media aren't usually available to the public. These rates are typically wholesale rates available on amounts of $1 million USD or more, transferred electronically between banks.
- How often are rates updated?
We update our rates at the beginning of the business day (Monday through Friday).
- How do these rates compare to other rates?
We are very competitive. Our rates are generally more favorable than those found at hotels or airports.
Shipping, Handling, and Fees
- Where will my order be delivered?
We ship within the United States. We do not deliver to P.O. boxes. An individual must be available at the delivery address to sign for the package.For verification purposes, orders will be sent to the address associated with your Wells Fargo checking or savings account. Before you order, please be sure you know the exact address Wells Fargo has on file.
- Can I arrange to pick up my order in person?
Yes, if you order by phone or in person, you have the option of picking up your order at a participating Wells Fargo banking location.
If you have placed an online order and wish to change delivery to a participating Wells Fargo banking location, we may be able to accommodate your request if the order has not already been shipped. Please contact 1-800-626-9430 (Option 2) immediately after your purchase. You must have your online Order Confirmation Number available when requesting a shipment delivery change.
- When will my order be delivered?
Orders completed before 12:00 pm Pacific Time will generally be processed for next-day delivery (in most areas) on the same day they are received. Orders completed after 12:00 pm, or on weekends, are shipped the following business day. We'll send you an email confirmation when your order ships. Note: Less common currencies may take longer to process and deliver, due to limited availability. Also, if you live in Alaska or Hawaii, your delivery may take longer.
- How will my order be delivered?
Shipments are sent via next-day delivery (in most areas) once the order is processed.
- How can I track my order?
You can track your package through the shipper's web site - you'll get a tracking number as part of your email confirmation. You can also track your order by calling us at 1-800-626-9430 and referencing your confirmation number.
- What are the shipping and handling fees?
The shipping and handling fee may vary based on the USD amount of currency that you order. The shipping and handling fee will be added to your total order amount.
- Does Wells Fargo charge a service fee?
No, Wells Fargo does not charge a service fee for foreign currency cash when you order online.
However, Wells Fargo non-account holders may incur a service fee when ordering foreign currency at a Wells Fargo banking location.
- Will my order be delivered on Saturday?
No. We do not offer Saturday delivery.
- Do I have to be home to receive the shipment?
An individual must be available at the delivery address to sign for the package.
- What is the euro and where is it used?
The euro is the official currency of the European Union (EU). Not all countries that are a part of the EU use the euro, however.
Currently, euro is used in the following locations:
- San Marino
- Vatican City
- Can I still use old local currency for euro-area countries?
No, those countries that use the euro stopped accepting their previous (or legacy) currencies at the time of their conversion to the euro as their official currency. You can exchange your legacy currency at central banks in countries that use the euro.
For more information about the euro, go to http://www.euro.ecb.int
Security and Browser Requirements
- Is purchasing online secure?
To help ensure security, the billing and personal information you provide us is encrypted through Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. SSL encodes information transmitted over the Internet between your computer and Wells Fargo. This ensures that the information you provide to us is confidential.
Tip: To help protect your personal information, you should end your browser session after you complete your order and before you leave your computer.
In addition to the above, Wells Fargo integrates several fraud prevention measures to maximize the security of your private online information.
These measures include but are not limited to:
- Data Integrity - This involves ensuring that the same data is transmitted from the user's computer to Wells Fargo. Specifically, data integrity involves
preventing unauthorized creation, alteration, or destruction of data from unauthorized sources through the Internet.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Wells Fargo utilizes sophisticated data integrity checks that control the risk of data alteration during transmission to identify any data that has been altered.
- Encryption - Encryption is a way to control data integrity. Encryption makes it difficult for an unauthorized party to read transaction data.
- Internal System Controls - Internal System Controls are also implemented to ensure the integrity of data while it is being processed by Wells Fargo.
- Data Integrity - This involves ensuring that the same data is transmitted from the user's computer to Wells Fargo. Specifically, data integrity involves preventing unauthorized creation, alteration, or destruction of data from unauthorized sources through the Internet.
- What kind of hardware and software do I need to order online?
We are continually upgrading our online services to provide you with the most valuable and secure online access. As we add new features and enhancements to our service, older browser versions or Internet devices like WebTV may not support these new standards. Upgrading to a new version will enhance your security.
Wells Fargo's minimum encryption requirement for secure online access is 128-bit encrypted browsers.
- Where can I get more information if my question was not answered here?
If you have questions that haven't been answered here, please call 1-800-626-9430, Monday through Friday, 5 am to 6 pm, Saturday 7 am to 2 pm Pacific Time.
We're here to help.
Call us at 1-800-626-9430
Mon - Fri, 5 am - 6 pm
Saturday, 7 am - 2 pm
Would you like to purchase foreign currency in person?
To find a participating Wells Fargo banking location in the U.S. that carries foreign currency, please use the Foreign Currency Store Locator to find a location near you. Please contact the location in advance for availability of specific currencies and store hours.